Gaston College is seeking to fill the position of: Electrical Maintenance Technician
Under the direction of the Director-Facilities Management and/or the Maintenance Coordinator, responsible for a variety of tasks relating to installing and maintaining electrical infrastructure including electrical gears, panels, conduits, racks, electrical cables, and equipment in various locations. Perform other duties related to general maintenance, HVAC, and plumbing systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform a variety of tasks related to installing, maintaining, and repairing electrical systems, electrical controls, wiring, and lighting systems in various buildings and at various locations.
- Produce and maintain well-functioning electrical distribution, equipment and connections to minimize the probability of accidents and maximize usability of electricity in all facilities.
- Execute plans for electrical wiring for well-functioning electrical systems.
- Collaborate with the Preventive Maintenance Technician to perform regularly scheduled preventive maintenance tasks such as inspecting and replacing outdated electrical equipment, emergency lighting devices, and updating electrical fixtures as needed. Assist the HVAC and plumbing technicians with preventive maintenance duties in respective areas.
- Identify electrical problems using a variety of testing devices.
- Prepare and assemble conduits/racks and underground PVC and pull and terminate cabling productively to equipment and distribution panels.
- Perform effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions and repair or substitute damaged units. Assist HVAC and plumbing technicians with troubleshooting tasks in respective areas.
- Connect wiring in electrical circuits and networks ensuring compatibility of components.
- Install and repair electrical systems including motors and pneumatic controls.
- Install and maintain indoor and outdoor electrical controls, wiring, and lighting systems.
- Read and review blueprints including technical diagrams of electrical systems identifying location of circuits, outlets, and other equipment.
- Operate a variety of material handling equipment including powered industrial equipment such as a forklift.
- Adhere to all safety, health, and environmental policies and procedures and follow all OSHA electrical standards under state and local building regulations based on the National Electrical Code.
- Adhere to chemical management regulations in accordance with all safety guidelines listed on safety data sheets (SDS). Always ensure the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Serve on departmental and/or College committees as requested and needed.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Electrical license preferred.
- Specialized vocation courses preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least two years of electrical and general maintenance experience in an institutional or industrial environment required.
- General skills in HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and preventive maintenance required.
- Experience with variable frequency drives and other motor controls preferred.
- Strong technical, mechanical and problem-solving skills required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Must possess basic math skills and the ability to read blueprints, wiring diagrams, and schematics.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Good work record required.
- Fingerprinting required upon hire.
- Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) certification required. In addition to the standard background check, this position requires having a clear fingerprint-based criminal records search through the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI).