$10,000 Sign On Bonus !!
Location - Baylor Medical Center of Grapevine (Grapevine,TX)
Unit/Dept - Surgery (L&D)
Shift/Schedule - Nights
The Surgical Technician 3 functions in the inter operative phase of patient care to expedite surgical procedures, under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. This position assists the surgical team through the use of equipment and instrumentation to ensure that the operating room environment is safe and that required equipment is available and functioning properly. Assumes responsibility for maintenance of equipment, instruments and supplies for a specified surgical specialty line, acting as liaison and educator of this service to surgeons and other team members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE
- Scrubs for cases in all major surgical services according to established procedures and standards requiring advanced knowledge of anatomy, surgical instruments, Surgeon preferences, and other technical knowledge.
- Passes sterile supplies and equipment to surgeons and assistants during procedures by holding retractor devices and acts to anticipate and respond to Surgical Team?s needs during course of surgery.
- Receives surgical specimens following specimen protocol, place in preservative solutions and notifies circulating Nurse of source of material and delivers to appropriate location.
- Counts sponges and needles according to established procedures and assists with sterile dressing of operative site following closing.
- Sets up the operating room according to surgical procedure schedules; arranges sterile set up of instrument table supplies and equipment required for specific procedure.
- Ensures the proper functioning of surgical instruments, equipment and supplies during surgical procedures.
- Prepares the operative site by aseptically cleaning and shaving. Cleans the operating room following each case and returns equipment to appropriate storage areas. Ensures the cleaning, decontamination, sterilization, maintenance and preparation of surgical instruments, equipment and supplies for distribution.
- Assists the surgical team with draping and positioning the patient.
- Maintains inventory of clean and sterilized surgical equipment, instruments and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures and regulatory standards. Collaborates and maintains control of maintenance of inventory; orders supplies, documents equipment use and cart supplies, and maintains applicable records and files.
- Follows infection control policies, Association of perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN) recommendation practices, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines, and other regulatory requirements in order to assure a safe work environment for self, coworkers and patients.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- Knowledge of infection prevention and regulatory sterilization standards.
- Knowledge of the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique.
- Knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures and implementation tools and technologies to assist surgeons with invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills to interact with surgical and central sterile processing team members.
- Occasional exposure to chemical and radiation hazards.
Our competitive benefits package includes the following
- Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
- 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%
- Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO accrual beginning Day 1
Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level
- EDUCATION - Grad of an Accredited Program
- EXPERIENCE - 2 Years of Experience
- CERTIFICATION/LICENSE/REGISTRATION -
- Cert Surgical Technolgst (CST)
- Basic Life Support (BLS): BLS or BLS within 30 days of hire or transfer.